Ernst Huber (1901–1979) completed his Chemistry studies in 1922 at the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule in Zurich (ETHZ) with a doctoral dissertation on natural rubber. He first worked for an Italian flavor company, Ditta Soave, in Turin, where he developed flavors for the beverage and spirits industry, including alcoholic aperitif and vermouth drinks, such as Martini™, Rossi™, and Campari™. In 1929, Du Pont de Nemours in New Jersey, USA offered him the position of Head of Division, Fine Chemicals Production, including synthesizing ionones and musks. Later, at Van Ameringen & Haebler (New Jersey), he focused on the analysis of raw materials and essential oils and on methods to detect counterfeits in premium products. And then at Polak & Schwarz in Hilversum, Netherlands, he refined his analytical skills and knowledge, and became Head of the Analytics Department. (Around 1950, the latter two companies merged to form IFF.)
In 1939, Dr. Ernst Huber returned to Switzerland where he became Technical Director of Flora (later Esrolko – Givaudan). He left after 10 years to establish his own family company, Dr. Ernst Huber & Co., in his hometown of Zumikon, about 5 minutes from the center of Zürich.
In 1971, his younger son, Dr. Willy Huber, joined the family enterprise. His education in Chemistry likewise began at the ETH in Zurich, where he concentrated on the synthesis of complex organic molecules and, under Prof. Dr. A. Eschenmoser, wrote his doctoral dissertation on the synthesis of Vitamin B12. A post-
In 1973, Dr. E. Huber & Co. AG consolidated operations and moved into a new facility of 50,000 sq. ft. in Zumikon’s industrial park, where Administration, R&D and Manufacturing are carried out today. After receiving comprehensive training as a master perfumer, Dr. Willy Huber became Technical Director, and later, Managing Director of the company.
In 1980, following the business succession plan, Dr. Willy Huber became the sole owner of the family enterprise, which was then restructured under the name of Dr. W. Huber AG, with the trademark, Huber the Nose.™ Between 1979 and 1985, Dr. Willy Huber was President of the Swiss Society of Cosmetic Chemists, and member of the French and American sister affiliates.
Based on its high standards in Development, Quality Control and Manufacturing, Huber the Nose.™ is recognized as a dependable and flexible partner in all aspects of flavors and fragrances.